Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Are We Required to Give to Everyone Who Asks?

Are We Required to Give to Everyone Who Asks?

Are We Required to Give to Everyone Who Asks?

"Dear Father Kerper: In the Gospels, Jesus seems to demand that we give money to every beggar who comes along. Should we take His words liter­ally? I’m not rich, and some of these people hit me for a donation whenever I walk down the street. I feel guilty when I don’t give them anything. Am …"

(The above advice is somewhat different than what I heard at Mass at a local Parish one Sunday.  The Priest told us not to give alms to those starting to collect in the Church parking lot, waiting for parishoners to come out after Mass.  He said to tell them to come into the Church office to be referred to Catholic Services, where they would receive the help they needed.  I try to carry a granola bar in my purse, so I always have something to give anyone who asks for a handout.  Not always what they want.... but Jesus said, "Feed the hungry")